The MI music and band program was the most impactful experience and greatest privilege of our kids’ education on Mercer Island. This program of instruction and performance is among the best in the country and, unlike most, it is a no-cut, come one, come all deal.
Our kids were proud to learn from directors for whom they had the greatest respect. From this program, they learned how to create beautiful music as members of an ensemble as well as timeless values and principles that they will carry with them for the rest of their lives:
· Excellence is its own reward
· We are accountable to each other
· Compassion and kindness are fundamental
· One leads by example and for the purpose of serving others
· Problems will arise and we will deal with them with a good attitude
As parents, we are filled with gratitude for the lessons learned and the joy and pride our kids experienced as members of this band family.
~ Shelly Shay and Dawson Stoops, (Katie, Class of 2020 and Ben, Class of 2017)